Monday, December 22, 2008

Kemp's Birth Story

Kemp came into the world a little differently than I had planned but I guess he knew what he was doing. I started having contractions around four in the morning. We delayed going into the hospital because with Gracie we went in a little early and they made us wait to be admitted. I didnt want to spend hours walking the halls again, so I tried to pass as much of the labor as I could at home. Finally we were convinced that we should head to the hospital so there would be enough time to get an epideral. When I arrived, I was still only at a 4 or 5 so the nurses took their time admitting me, getting an I.V. and other details. What we did not expect was that with in an hour I was fully dialated. They placed the needle for the epidural, but before they could put in the medicine, Kemp decided it was time. Lucky for me delivery was quick. So quick that there were no doctors, only nurses, and a few other preperations had to be skipped. So Kemp came into the world the "natural" way which was definitely not my plan. Most of the work was in the last 20 minutes so I survived, although when I think back on it, sometimes I wonder if I would have any more kids if I knew I could not have pain meds. I guess I could do it if they were all fast like Kemp. In the end it was very dramatic and traumatic, but me and Kemp are no worse for the wear so its all okay.

3 comments:

Holly Janeen said...

where did the name kemp come from? its cute.. and i have never heard it before!
i love your kids names.

Cherie said...

Oh, wow. That doesn't sound like much fun. I'm so afraid that is going to happen to me someday. Hey, what does Sean think about you saying that there were no "doctors" in the room? :)

Amy said...

Wow! That is fast. I was born after only 3 hours of labor.
Poor mothers. And, yes, I still want to have kids. I'm glad you made it through. He is a cutie! Congrats on number 2! He looks so nice and cozy next to his big sister. I agree with Holly, Kemp is a cute name too.