Sunday, May 16, 2010

There Was An Old Woman Who Swallowed a Goat


There was an old woman
Who swallowed a goat
She opened her throat
And in walked the goat
Perhaps she'll die
Lyrics from "There was an old woman who swallowed a fly"

I am the old woman. I am trying to swallow the fact that Sean wants to buy a goat. That's right. A goat.

"Just think," he says, "it will graze in our yard so we won't have to mow the lawn!"

At first he wanted chickens. Lately we have heard of a lot of people who raise chickens. But I think chickens are gross with their nasty, freakish legs and beady little eyes. They are one animal that I just don't like. And besides, I don't really want to raise chickens.

"But we will learn to be self sufficient with our chickens and their eggs," says Sean.
I say, "No way."
So he says, "Well let's get a pygmy goat."
"What, are we learning to be self sufficient by drinking goat milk?"
"Well, we would know how to care for them if we needed something like that. And they will mow our lawn and then Loucee (yes I changed we spell our dog's name) will have a friend."

A goat, people. A goat. Help.


6 comments:

Laura said...

Go with the chickens. They're really not so bad. My kids loved them. And it's nice not to buy eggs.

Mayhem no longer said...

Goats are scary. But chickens are too. well, roosters are. Hens are very easy. My vote is fish. You can learn to be self-entertained. :)

Cherie said...

What?! Seriously? Was he born in a barn? Well, I guess Holbrook is pretty close... (j/k Sean, you know we like you, despite your roots. :) ) But, if we get to vote, I vote for kids. Wait...not the goat kind though. I guess I should have said children. You already have a dog, you don't need more pets, right? Even if they can provide food. Oh, and lawnmowers don't poop--definite plus to a real lawnmower. Besides, it's nice to be self sufficient, but if you are really needing a goat to provide food for you, then I figure the world's going to be in such terrible shape that we will all be dead anyway. :) Just stock up on powedered milk from the canery and barrels of water. Okay, I will shut up now--I guess I just miss talking to you so I ramble on your blog. :) Bottom line--NO GOAT. (sorry Sean)

Holly Janeen said...

so get this, i tell Jeff your situation and he totally sides with SEAN! what?!
maybe having a BBQ this summer is NOT a good idea... especially if Jeff and Sean buddy up and corner you into getting a goat.

oh Elaine, i love you.
and just FYI, i still will if you have a goat.

skinners said...

we had a pet goat when i was young. we took it on walks down to the park on our street {by the Dover's old house}, with a harness and a leash. it was the closest i ever got to having a dog. then it's horns grew in and it started ramming into into us when we tried to play in the backyard. so my dad gave it to some of my grandpa's farmhands. and they ate it. for dinner. seriously, true story. his name was billy...

i say stick with your dog and call it good. :)

elise said...

paul says "the grass in your yard might make the goat sick (ie, check before you let sean buy one), i know cows can't eat yard grass, it makes them get bloated and tehy blow up, but the little goats are kinda cute"