Thursday, April 15, 2010

Messy Post



This is my boy. He is a BOY. At least, that is what I blame all of his destructive bahavior on. It is an amazing thing. He has a talent for turning our house into a disaster area. I feel like I spend 50% of my day following after him and picking up the messes he makes. Bigdog doesn't like to play with toys. Instead he likes to EXPLORE. If there is a toy, he tries to take it apart or throw it to see what happens. If there aren't any toys to throw, he goes around the house to find other things that are interesting. Here are some of his favorite pastimes. He gets around to most of these at least once a day. Some activites he enjoys multiple times daily.

*Throwning things away in garbage (toys, hot pads, letters from the fridge, books, stuffed animals)
*Emptying ALL the ziplocks from the box
*Dumping toy baskets
*Pulling all of the books out of BOTH book shelves
*Pulling all of the clothes out of the drawers he can reach
*Getting into the pantry and dumping rice all over floor
*Pulling papers out of filing drawers
*Eating crayons
*Coloring with markers (not on paper)
*Pulling bibs out of drawers
*Throwing food on the floor when he eats
*Shaking sippy cups to leak milk everywhere
*Tipping my decorative plant over pulling it apart

I try to prevent these messes as much as I can. I don't put locks on EVERYTHING for fear that our house might look like a psych ward. I try to think ahead of Bigdog by putting the plant on the counter or stacking clothes on the dresser instead of in the drawers. But sometimes there is nothing I can do. For example, the ziplocks are in a drawer that is locked, but Bigdog can pull the drawer out 1/4 of an inch and slip his little fingers in to dig out the ziplocks. And there is the fact that Gracie might leave a cup or markers out and he gets to it before I do.

Today before 10:00 he had thrown all of the bibs on the floor, thrown some toys in the garbage, eaten Sean's chapstic, eaten some crayons, there was close call with some markers but I caught that one soon enough, pooped twice (I know it doesn't count, but still), dumped both baskets of toys, and gotten to my plant again. Maybe the problem here is that I'm not learning and I need to just stack everything on the counters. Kitchen chairs, plants, garbage, toys, and lock every single drawer in our whole house.

Hoy vey.

3 comments:

elise said...

you mean things like that weren't commonplace before? it sounds like my kids every day! (though people keep telling me boys are different, i guess in a year or so i'll have more of an opinion :)

Cherie said...

Your post made me laugh! I totally feel your pain. Our garbage spent a good six months on top of our counter. It was so gross, but I was so afraid something really important would get thrown away. Kelton really likes all the things on your list too--with the addition of pulling dvds off the shelf and opening them and taking out the dvd! (We DO NOT let our kids touch our dvds.) If it's any consolation, Kelton eventually got somewhat sick of all that stuff and moved on--maybe K will do the same thing. But I have to tell you, he sure is one cute little boy, even if he causes you a lot of grief!

Laura said...

Elaine this post is so funny....Tyce does the exact same things!!! As I was reading the list of things Kemp is up to around the house I just saying "Yep, Tyce does that...and that..oh my goodness he does that too" :) So funny! Must be a boy thing for sure- and their age. Curious little rascals.