Sunday, August 30, 2009

Home School

The new thing at our house is school. A lot of our friends have kids starting or going back to school, so I decided to do a little something for Gracie. We made her a chart and on the first day I told her that when Kemp went to sleep, we would do her school time. Kemp went down for his nap and then Gracie said, "Let's go see Grammy!" I was a little confused so she explained, "You say I go to Grammy's school!" Sean's mom teaches elementary school and Gracie has been to her classroom before. I felt so bad that she had misunderstood and she was kind of upset too when she realized that we weren't going to see Grammy.

But now, we have done her "school" for two weeks and she really likes it. I try to rotate through the chart once a week (three days) or more if things work out. It doesn't last very long, only 15-30 minutes, but I feel good about having guaranteed Mommy-Gracie time.

Art day usually means painting or crafts. On learning days we practice letters or counting while we color, play with play doe, or play in shaving cream. Maybe I will do some science lessons about the sun or plants or something. On play day we play board games, bubbles, or something else fun.

So that Kemp isn't left out I'm trying to do a little extra for him by reading him more books at nap time (if he will sit still).


THE CHART


Painting

Letters in Shaving Cream







4 comments:

The Morgan Family said...

Aww that is super cute. And you are such an amazing mom. I sure hope I can do fun/learning things with my kids. And I love the letters in shaving cream. That looks like loads of fun!

Cherie said...

That is so awesome! I've been meaning to do something like that too, but I just don't have the energy when Kelton goes down for a nap! I'm very impressed.

Laura said...

I love the homeschool time I have with my boys, but I never made such a cool chart. I love that idea. I'll probably be copying it. :)

Holly Janeen said...

look at you go, super mom!