Tuesday, January 26, 2010

1st Annual Cook-Blog-Share Event!


Yes, I put rice in a pan in the shape of a smiley face just for this post.

Yesterday, as evening was approaching, I knew I needed to start making dinner. But I didn't want to. Not because it takes time or effort, but because I didn't want to eat anything I was going to cook. I am tired of all of the meals on my "menu." I need something new.

Thats when I had this ingenious idea. For four weeks, post a recipe on my blog on Tuesday and ask all my friends to post one of their favorite recipes on their own blog. Here is how I imagine it working. Anyone who wants to participate posts a recipe on THEIR blog every Tuesday for the next month. On Wednesday, I post my recipe and a link to all the other bloggers involved. Then, just visit my blog, check out my recipe, and follow the links to other blogs with recipes. Does that make sense? Or, email me your recipe (if you want your blog private) and I can post it for you. Even if three friends join in, that is twelve new recipes for me!

I have to say, this is a risk for me. What if nobody is keen on my idea? I mean, I only have, what, ten readers? So the chances of this taking off may not be so good. I may take a slight hit to my self esteem if no one wants to do it, but I will get over it quickly. Then I will delete this post and pretend it never happened.

SO. If you are interested leave a comment or email me! Then I will send you a little email with a few extra details. The whole thing will start next week and last through February. Thanks!

6 comments:

Erin Cummings said...

Hi Elaine, I know it's Wednesday, but can I be in the group too? I am in need of new recipes because I am sick to death of what we cook too. Here's one I'll share this week.

Olive Garden's Pasta E Fagioli Soup

1 lb. ground beef

1 small onion, diced

1 large carrot, julienned

3 stalks celery, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes

1 15 ounce can red kidney beans (with liquid)

1 15 ounce can great northern beans (with liquid)

1 15 ounce can tomato sauce

1 12 ounce can V-8 juice

1 T. vinegar

1 ½ t. salt

1 t. oregano

1 t. basil

½ t. pepper

½ t. thyme

½ pound (1/2 package) ditali pasta (or any other small pasta you have laying around)

Instructions: brown ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Drain off most of the fat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour. About 50 minutes into the simmering, cook the pasta in 2 quarts of boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes or just until pasta is al dente. Add pasta to the large pot of soup. Sometimes if there doesn't look like there is enough liquid in the soup at this point, I add some of the pasta water to the soup, if not, then drain and just add the pasta. Simmer for 5-10 minutes more. Serves about 8 adults. Freezes great. I serve it with garlic bread and Parmesan cheese for the top. Mmmm.

Enjoy!

Erin Cummings

Cherie said...

So a little while ago, I actually typed up all of my recipes because I could forsee the day when my children would somehow dispose of my written copies. Anyway, they are in a word document. So, I will just email you with that attached. Sound good?

Holly Janeen said...

i dunno, Elaine... sounds like a chain blog recipe exchange...

JUST KIDDING!

sure. count me in. even though i am the worst cook in america and due to have my second child in a month, i will participate JUST FOR YOU. consider it my groundhog day gift to you. i mean, uh... BIRTHDAY gift to you.

hugs.

and yes, i got your message and NO i did not think you were weird, in fact i smiled and thought to myself, "i love elaine."

skinners said...

count me in but i'm worried i might forget - i will go write it on my calendar right now. and i think this is a brilliant idea and hope it works!

and just as a side note, i follow two blogs of my friend's that cook. nothing fancy but they have some really good recipes. their buttons are on my side bar way down at the bottom in case you're curious.

skinners said...

and by the way - since i check your blog a lot and don't ever comment - your kids are getting so grown up? i can't believe how time is flying! and how is residency treating you guys? we are starting the house hunting process online and are getting excited for our big move.

elise said...

i just saw this. yeah, i'll post something occasionally, just no promises it'll be tuesdays :) i only blog when i can... you probably know what i mean. but yes, i totally am on teh same page as you with cooking. i like cooking, i just hate deciding what to make, and usually just need something new to spice up life :)