Sunday, January 24, 2010

I gave up, I gave in, I changed my mind

Bigdog ALWAYS has to have his chomp-chomp to sleep with. He rubs it on his face while he falls to sleep. And he has claimed this soft blanket as his own. He loves soft things.


We make She-She sleep on the floor. Just kidding. She is playing pretend in this picture.

She-She and Bigdog share a room. At least since he was six months or so. Mostly this is because I am stubborn. I never had my own room so any kid with their own room is spoiled. Not really, I just have a hard time giving my kids their own room for some reason.

When Bigdog was old enough to sleep through the night, we moved him in with She-She. It worked pretty well for the most part. There was a week or two when BD decided he would NOT sleep through the night, so we practiced a little "sleep training" (AKA- cry it out kid!) during which time She-She slept with us for a few nights.

Everything was hunky dory (is that how you spell that?). I even think they got a little comfort from having each other while they slept. UNTIL our little Arizona adventure when BD got sick and since that time we have passed around cold after cold. Let me give you a little formula here:

BD sick= BD not sleeping well
BD not sleeping well + sharing a room with She-She= She-She not sleeping well
Bigdog and She-She not sleeping well= ME not sleeping well.

This has been the case since November. I was up AT LEAST three times a night to help one or the other. Finally Bigdog started sleeping better in January, but then She-She was all out of whack.

About two weeks ago I HAD HAD IT. "I'm splitting them up!" I said. "I told you so," said Sean. Which made me want to NOT split them up but I needed sleep. It was like having a newborn again. Okay, not really that bad, but it was still tiring.

I started preparing to move She-She into the other room when miraculously, they both slept through the night. Then it happend two more nights. If they do it again I will have four nights of peaceful rest under my belt. So now I am thinking about leaving them together. I mean, not lasting 6 months with them sharing? Weak! Or maybe it would be better to split them up until they are a little older. Why am I choosing to make my life (and their sleep) harder? I don't know the right answer. We will see how tonight goes.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Sometimes i think my kids are spoiled because they get there own rooms (i never did until high school), but it makes for better rest for both of them. And they don't fight as much since they have their own space to go to when they need to. So they can enjoy it until more kids come.

Hope it keeps going well and you all get some sleep!

Camille said...

Our kids share a room but we have a guest bed in the office. Almost every night Trevor makes his migration to the office bed whenever Haley starts crying, since she rarely has a night of solid sleep. Why don't I just put him to bed in the office in the first place? It's the PRINCIPLE of the thing, dang it! Good luck with that. If you have the extra rooms at home I say take advantage.

Anderson Family said...

I plan on having kids share a room. Not sure how they all survive, but they will. No one ever died from sharing a room, but eventually opposite sexes will have to split. Most important, however YOU get more sleep is what's best.

elise said...

that is a really tricky balance! we've got the girls in together, but for about the last 4-5 months, we'd put afton to bed in our room and rayna in her crib, then when we came up to bed we'd move afton to her room (they both fell asleep much faster and better seperated), but after we got home from az at christmas i'd had it (one or the other (or both) was ending up in our bed all night long just because they'd cry... sometimes i'm convinced just because they could get away with it) then all of the sudden i'd had it, and we started putting them in their own beds and they'd have to stay there... we were 100% keeing htem in their own beds til three days ago (rayna was super grumpy at bed time, then we had a babysitter, so we seperate them for that, then rayna was feeling a little sick--so now for three days they've been seperate again... will it ever end?!) anyways, i guess all i'm saing is i totally get it... frustrating!!!

Cherie said...

Natalie and Kelton have always been in separate rooms--for my sake--so I've never had the sharing the rooms trouble. It's funny because I think they would have been fine in the same room. Natalie can sleep through anything, probably because all Kelton did at night was cry for about the first year. We leave the doors open anyway, so they are in separate rooms but only about 15 feet apart. I just like that they can't see each other. But now...here comes baby #3 and we are out of bedrooms. Yeah, I have no idea what to do now because if I put the two older kids together, they won't go to sleep, they will just play. I'm sure of it. I will have to put one to bed, wait for them to fall asleep then put the other one in, hoping they don't wake up the first. Or leave them split and put the baby in with one of them. You know, there's just NO perfect answer to this situation! GOOD LUCK!!! I am all for doing whatever gives you the most sleep night after night.

Amy said...

My sister's two kids, a boy and girl, shared a room for 6 years, but that was due to not enough room. About 3 weeks ago they bit the bullet and cleaned out the toy/food storage/office room and now they are soundly sleeping in their own rooms. I never had my own room until my sister got married either. It's kinda fun to share with a sister, but I remember all of us in one room for a while, and that wasn't so much fun sometimes. Good luck, and sweet dreams!