Friday, September 18, 2009

Where Did Summer Go?

After living in Tucson for seven years, summers became a dreaded time. A time to lock yourself in your house and turn on the A/C as high as possible- or swamp cooler in our case. Three summers I spent outside in the blazing heat while I worked at the YMCA summer camp. Two more summers I spent in the 2nd or 3rd trimesters of pregnancy and tried to resist feeling claustrophobic in my own body as my tummy grew and the ability of our swamp cooler to fight the heat shrunk.

Then came this year. We left Tucson just as it started to get hot and arrived in Utah before summer had truly begun. And now my question is- did it ever come at all? Did I even suffer through one day over 101 degrees? I know I never burned myself on the seatbelt or steering wheel of our car. In fact getting into the car was uneventful when we didn't have to face a wall of stifling hot air. We were able to take walks on any evening we wanted without fear of being drenched with sweat. The mornings were comfortable and dew stayed on our lawn past ten in the morning. After cool nights, Gracie didn't dare leave the house before nine because it was "too cold."

I find myself still bracing myself as I a wait for summer to hit, and then look around and realize fall is coming. Our flowers our going dormant and trees are looking yellow as they prepare to turn all shades of orange and fall off. So was that all Utah could muster up when it comes to summer? I know I was raised in the Salt Lake valley, but when I was little, to me summer WAS hot. After Tucson, I don't know if summer will ever be hot again.

2 comments:

elise said...

yea!!! (at least that's what 'd be thinkng... texas does got hot, but it's fall here already too-and it may count as early officially, but it's not too early for me!)

Cherie said...

So, are you just trying to rub it in?! It's been hot, and wouldn't you know that we got a crap monsoon this year? It's just now finally getting to where you can find cool air outside first thing in the morning. Just wait a few months--you all are going to be freezing while we're BBQing outside.