Saturday, November 7, 2009

Love it-Hate it

(This is not our house, but you get the idea)


Our home has some beautiful wood and tile floors. In fact, our whole house is wood/tile except the front room area and two bedrooms. The third bedroom, kitchen, dining area, living room, bathrooms, hallways, and even stairs are wood or tile.


When we were looking at houses and we saw ones that had hard wood floors or tile, we would mutter "oooooooh, ahhhhhhhh" under our breath because they are so visually appealing. But now our floors and I have a strained relationship.

There are a few reasons I have discovered that wood/tile is not ideal.



#1 They are really hard. My feet and knees hurt after walking all day, especially after cooking dinner


#2 They are cold. The weather is cooling down and I have to wear socks to keep my feet warm which brings me to #3


#3 They are slippery. Gracie has biffed it several times and I don't know how Kemp is going to learn to walk on them without slipping and cracking his head. Not to mention the stairs. They are almost considered a hazard to your health.


#4 They show EVERY little speck of dirt and crumb of food. No hiding that unswept floor with plush carpet.


#5 The areas of wood floor that we have managed to hide under area rugs are now a different color because the sun has bleached the uncovered floors. Oops.


#6 They are loud. Crying, screaming, and squealing echo all through the house. Not to mention the fact we live right next to train tracks (don't ask how we feel about that) and the train noise...not good.


So I think when we sell our house having these beautiful floors will be to our advantage. I hope. What kind of flooring do you have? Remind me why tile and hard wood floors are so great. I think when we buy again in the future I might look for one that has all carpet. Even on the walls. Just kidding.

4 comments:

Mayhem no longer said...

We've got tile all over the main floor, too. And yes, it is nice when Cambria has an accident or when dinner time rolls around (I've never really understood carpeted dining areas) but the sweeping gets old. I love looking at my newly mopped floors, and then knowing exactly everywhere Cambria has been in the next day by the footprints :)

Anderson Family said...

We have all tile, except for wood flooring in the bedrooms (which are warmer). I love knowing that when I do clean them, I KNOW they're clean. Like Melanie, I LOVE my freshly mopped floors. Unfortunately they usually only last a couple hours before the other 3 in the house, make a spill and track foot/paw prints everywhere.
Good luck Kemp, they're rough for learning how to walk and Kira still biffs it regularly.

Cherie said...

I really don't know why wood/tiled floors are all the rage right now. Yes, they are beautiful. But if you have kids...not so much. My in-laws house is very nice, but there are wood floors everywhere. And it's pretty big, so kid noise just echoes and echoes. Like you said, very noisy. I totally agree with everything on your list. Plus, I am NOT a fan of sweeping, let alone mopping. I would much rather pull out a vacuum.

Cash Family said...

I'm not a fan of wood floors... I like the feel of carpet and I think carpet is a lot cozier... maybe you could get some rugs, but those tend to get a little pricey.