Monday, October 5, 2009

Newest Member of Our Family



Gracie is sporting her Colts outfit. She picked it out herself and says that she is a "football dame" (football game player) when she is wearing it.



What is there to do for FHE that costs less than $20 and includes a long term commitment? Buy a bird! That is what we did last Monday. We already had a cage so we just had to go to the pet store and pick one out. It was a spur of the moment decision but Gracie was really excited about it. She named it Mary-Mary. We suggested other names but she would have none other.
My personal history with birds has been bitter-sweet. I got a parakeet when I was in 5th grade for my birthday. As far as birds go, it rocked. I trained it so that it would fly to me when I snapped my fingers. It would sit on my shoulder and was pretty affectionate, for a bird that is. I had it for about two years and then our cat killed it. The circle of life I guess.
Sean and I have had two birds. Neither with happy endings. The first, named Tink (Tinkerbell), was grouchy. We started letting her out of the cage but we found her dead one day on the bottom of the cage. She had a bad habit of eating carpet and pest control sprayed our house that day, so we think the two were a bad combination.
Our second bird was named Captain after Captain Edward Teach- the pirate also known as Blackbeard. We thought it would be neat to have a little bird sitting on our shoulder who was the Captain. We didn't do a great job of training it and one day while it flew out the door. Oops.
But we have big plans for this bird. I am going to train it well. I am also home all day so it gets a lot more attention. Gracie loves the bird and likes to tell her all the news. Kemp thinks it is neat, too. He points and grunts to let us know he wants to look at her up close for a while.
And so we welcome the newest member of our family. Mary-Mary (or Merry-Merry if you'd like).




2 comments:

The Morgan Family said...

Well I was expecting a dog, by the title. But I think a bird is fitting. Plus, maybe for you guys, the fourth time's the charm! lol
Good luck with Mary-Mary. And ps, I think Gracie is the best football damer in the world!
Brittany

Cherie said...

Why, oh why, oh WHY did you not take our bird when you left? (Free, hello! with a bag of food thrown in) I have been trying to get rid of that thing for so long. He looks just like yours and he's already hand trained! After almost 6 years, I am so sick of the mess. FYI, I hope you already know that the dang things can live for like 20 years! Maybe it was only 12, but still. Maybe I will mail our to you so you can have a pair. :)