Saturday, February 13, 2010

Out Of the Mouth Of Babes

(A picture of me and my girl at the baby shower. Wow, I look like a ghost from this long winter inside...)

Here are some of the adorable things She-She has said lately. At age three she sure comes up with some good ones.

(When I was brushing her hair)
"Mom, stop! You are hurting me. Stop brushing my fur!"

*******************

One night She-She couldn't fall asleep so we let her come in with us while we brushed our teeth and got ready for bed. We were all laying in bed while Sean and I read scriptures. And had this little conversation.

"You're my sweetheart," says Sean to She-She.
"No your MY sweetheart," she replies.
"Your MY sweetheart, She-She," I jump in.
"No, she's MY sweetheart!" Sean counters.

It goes on like this, so I change it up...

"Hey She-She, Daddy is MY husband."

She argues, "No, he is MY husband!" We laugh and tell her what a cute girl she is. The argument is over. She-She lays back, stares at the ceiling, and says in a quiet voice to Sean, "You are my life...you are my heart." Sean and I glance at each other, both stunned at her poetic confession of love for her daddy, then shower her with tender hugs and kisses.

*****************************

One of my friends is having a baby and is due in three weeks. We have playdates every so often but She-She was oblivious to the whole pregnancy until we went to the store to buy a gift for the baby shower.

"What is that for?" She-She asks.

"Holly is going to have a baby girl soon. This is a dress for her new baby."

"She has a baby at her house?"

"Well, not yet, but soon. Right now the baby is in her tummy." I can see She-She trying to fit this information into her head.

I explain further, "See, Heavenly Father gives little babies to mommies. First babies stay in a mom's tummy, and then later, the baby comes out and the mommy gets to hold it." Oh shoot, I'm not sure if I am doing this right. I wait for She-She's response

"Oh...I don't have a baby in my tummy." Whew! I think I did okay. She-She concludes, "Holly feeds the baby in her tummy!" and then is distracted with toys. The end, except...

She-She was OBSESSED with this idea of Holly getting a baby. Almost everyday she would ask if Holly had the baby and if we could see it. I kept explaining that the baby wasn't here yet, but soon. So She-She finally reasons at lunch one day, "Oh, okay. The baby will be here soon. They will go get it from the store." I think she forgot the whole baby-in-tummy thing...UNTIL the day of the baby shower.

We go to the shower and AGAIN have the whole conversation that Holly is going to have a baby girl but it is not here yet. We walk in, see Holly, and I tell her about She-She's facination with her pregnancy. She-She hears me and the whole baby-in-tummy thing that we talked about earlier in the week. After a while I think she figured out that Holly's tummy WAS in fact bigger. There really must be a baby in there!

She-She turns to me, "Did they tie the baby up?" Oh dear, this is a confusing idea.

"No, honey, the baby is warm and comfy in the tummy."

"Oh...does it bite her?"

"No. The baby is so happy in her tummy. The baby likes to sleep a lot."

No response, just a thoughtful face.

So I can only wonder what my poor child thinks now. Since the baby shower, she hasn't brought the subject up again. Even if she is confused, I can't help but smile at her cute perception of such a new concept.

2 comments:

Holly Janeen said...

best way to dispel all her confusions? come see me when Evelynn arrives!!! :)
and just for clarification purposes... you are a babe in that picture, i dont care what you say... and if i EVER look that good, let alone after having two kids... i will pat myself on the back and say, "i am just about as hawt as elaine"

Cherie said...

Hey, that could have been a lot worse. Someday she is going to ask you how the baby gets OUT. We're having fun dealing with that one right now. And a 4 year old knows when you are trying to skirt around the absolute truth.